Friday, February 19, 2010

Love the Light

John 3:19 "And this is the condemnation, that light is come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil."
Only three verses prior, Jesus was making known to His followers that His Father in heaven loved them all, every single one. So deep was this love that Jesus was essentially telling them why He, the only begotten Son of the Father, was there on earth with them. I can almost hear the pleading in His voice as He recounts this. "My Father loves you.... do you get it? I mean really loves you. That's why I am here. I am not here as a harsh ruler or judge. I came to fulfill the law and the prophets, not add more rules to your plate. Can't you see? It is in Me that you will find freedom. In Me you will have life, not just life, but abundant life, wholeness, freedom, peace! I am not here to condemn you. I'm here to save you from condemnation. But, look around you. The condemnation you feel is not of me, but it is there. The condemnation is brought on by men. They would rather walk in darkness than step out into the light of My salvation. It doesn't have to be that way with you. Learn to love the Light. Walk in truth and the darkness will have to flee."
In chapter 15 of John, Jesus speaks again to the disciples about abiding in Him. He is the true Vine and apart from Him, nothing can grow. Plants cannot grow without light. There is a phenomenal instinct in plants called "phototropism." It is a form of plant growth in which the direction of growth is determined by the direction of the light source. In other words, it is the growth and response to a light stimulus. What a fascinating thing to observe. No matter where a plant is in a room, it will grow toward the light. Our Heavenly Father is most certainly interested in details!

No comments:

Post a Comment