Sunday, November 15, 2015

For He reached us...

I. battle. depression.
      During worship at church last night, one of the leaders spoke of her family's battle with depression and how she, too,  daily battles the war in her mind.  I have never said those words outside of my own private home.  I have felt shame and guilt and embarrassment.  I am a Christian.  I love God.  For years I have heard depression is selfish.  Get over it.  Think positive.  Shake it off.  Usually a good friend would know something was off and pray and encourage and it would lift for a bit.  Not this time.
      This time I knew it was time to do more than "get over it".  I needed to admit the struggle (at least to myself) and "get through it."  For me there is a difference.  It may not go away.  I have often wondered why I battle.  Why me, Lord?  I read Your Word.  I pray.  Please deliver me from this.  I am gently reminded of the woman with the issue of blood who battled her affliction 12 years and Paul with the "thorn in the flesh" that was never named.  He came to the conclusion that "God's grace is sufficient."  This type of affliction is invisible.  You can't see it or touch it.  That does not make depression any less real for those who battle it.
      I have often related to David in the Bible.  When you read through the Psalms you hear the honest heart of a man who loved God deeply.  You also hear the cries of a heart that battled.  "Why so downcast O my soul... put your hope in God."  David spoke to his own heart, pulling himself up, with a reminder of Who our Savior truly is.  So I learn from the example of the saints before and I read God's Word.  Sometimes I just let it soak in quietly.  Other times I boldly declare it out, wielding it as weapon to fight the battle in my mind.  Today I am thankful. This battle I am currently in is coming to a close. I can see the "light at the end of the tunnel" and my peace is returning.  When I read in Colossians today my heart was encouraged.  The following verses really stood out to me:

Colossians 1  (13)"For He rescued us from the domain of darkness, and transferred us to the kingdom of His beloved Son, (14) in whom we have redemption and forgiveness of sins.
(17) He is before all things and in Him all things hold together.  (28) We proclaim Him, admonishing every man and teaching every man with all wisdom, so that we may present every man complete in Christ. (29) For this purpose also I labor, striving according to His power, which mightily works in me.

Thank God He rescues us! Transfers us! Holds us together! He completes us! His power is mightily working in us! So even in our weakness... We proclaim Him!


1 comment: