Thursday, June 28, 2012

Set a Fire

I came across another beautiful nugget of truth in Exodus this morning.
Exodus 27: 20 "Command the Israelites to bring you clear oil of pressed olives for the light so that the lamps may be kept burning."

If I am understanding this correctly, the Israelites were responsible for bringing something to the table. They had to bring their own oil and it had to be clear. There was purpose in that.... it was so the lamps could be kept burning. Is anyone else catching this?!

Where did the responsibility lie? Or should I say with whom? With the people! It's the same today. If I am feeling dull and lifeless in my walk with God. If the excitement that once was, is no more, than it is up to me to do something about that. You see, I know God's character well enough by this stage in my walk, to know that the "problem" is never with him :)
Truly....
  • He is always there (Hebrews 13:4)
  • He is love (1 John 4:8)
  • He has our best interests in mind (John 3:16)
And the list goes on and on.

So, when I am not "feeling it" with God, the place to look is at myself.
  • Am I being carried away by the cares of this world? (2 Timothy 2:4)
  • Am I holding onto hurts when I should be forgiving/releasing (Mark 11:25)
  • Am I in the Word (2 Timothy 2:15, Psalm 119:105)
 (Sidenote - I am not encouraging introspection that would lead to guilt, shame, or condemnation, but simply doing a check-up if I am feeling disconnected from my Heavenly Father.)

Now, what goes beyond taking the above measures? You see, I want God to absolutely move in my life. Not just occassionally, but as a lifestyle. I remember a quote attributed to John Wesley. " I want to be set on fire (by God) so the world can watch me burn (for Him)."
So for that to happen...going back to Exodus 27... I must bring some clean oil to keep the lamp burning.

(Sidenote - The oil was from pressed olives! Wow! That is a whole different direction to take this in, when you think of the trials of life producing clean oil, but I will let you chew on 2 Corinthians 4:8 for now.)

I'll leave you with these two songs.... set aside some time to worship. Stir up the faith within again!

Set A Fire
by the United Pursuit Band
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TtGa7akdddI

You Won't Relent, All Consuming Fire
by Misty Edwards
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRiT9Ds4ch4&feature=related

No comments:

Post a Comment